Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter - Atonement, A lesson from #5

This is an email sent from by Brother who is on a mission and I think that how it relates to Easter and his laying forth of the doctrine are immensely clear and liberating, so I thought I'd share them with you all.  This is a great message and I bolded and underlined some things that stood out to me.


************************************************STARTQUOTATION**********************************************************



"""""""I wish I hadn't already used up an hour of my email time, so I could explain the inpiration I've felt, but here's a little bit of my search / what I've found.  I would suggest rather than just reading my thoughts- do your own study, based on your own questions and your own search. My thoughts may be of help to you, or maybe not.
 
I started with the question:  How do I know if I'm receiving the blessings of the Atonement?  I decided to read about the doctrine of Christ (I thought "The Doctrine of Christ is about receiving the Atonement, right?"  I read in 3 Nephi 27, and there it talks about how after faith, repentance, and baptism, the Holy Ghost sanctifies us (3rd Nephi 27: 19 - 20.  I realized that the blessings of the Atonement come from the Spirit.
 
I started my personal study this morning studying about "the law" mentioned in 2 Nephi 2 verse 5.  I had read a talk that mentions how the law condemns us,  (I just emailed you the talk).  During a companionship study with Elder Larsen when we talked about the Atonement, he talked about how Jesus satisfied the demands of Justice.  There is a law (see D & C 130) and we are condemned by the law, because of our disobedience.  There is a penalty / punishment for disobedience.  Jesus Christ paid that penalty, and satisfied the demands of Justice.
    So after thinking about the law, and all of the things I mentioned above, and pondering about the Atonement, I realized somethign profound!  Jesus Christ paid the demands of Justice.  He bore the penalty.  I really don't understand that very well, but I understand it enough to trust it.  But anyway, I realized that Jesus Christ satisfied the demands of Justice - He bore the punishment that comes from disobedience from the law.  (As I write, I don't know what words to use - I don't understand it fully. . .  and I'm struggling to think of the words to describe it.   I guess what I'm thinking is this:  There is a law.  Our disobedience to the law brings consequences.  There is a condemnation that comes with breaking the law.  Because of justice, a penalty must be paid.  And somehow, in a way I don't understand, Jesus Christ bore that penalty.  Which means that if we accept his Atonement, then we dont' have to bear that weight!   We don't have to bear that condemnation, that penalty, that punishment!!!  (Which punishment, I don't fully understand.  But I know that when I feel condemnation, which is often, it's a really uncomfortable, burdensome feeling!  To think, that Jesus Christ has borne that, is amazing!  That means I can let go of so many things that burden me!  I was describing all these things to my companion, Elder Larsen, who I've talked to quite a bit about things I think about, etc.  Anyway, when I said that, he said "Not only are you able to let go of those things, you are required to let go of those things."  Profound!  
    We talked about what is required to receive the Atonement (First of all, the first steps in the gospel- faith, repentance, baptism, gift of the Holy Ghost).  Then when you're on the gospel path, you simply need to continue in faithfulness, with faith, and an attitude of repentance.  Then as you partake of the sacrament each week, you can receive a forgiveness of your sins each week.  You are able to receive the companionship of the Holy Ghost, which changes you.  It sanctifies you!  (See 3 Nephi 27: 19 - 20)
       I realized that I've kind of believed I have to overcome all my sins and weaknesses on my own.  I thought that is what is required, to trutly repent.  and then I can receive the Atonement.  But that's all backwards!
 
Anyway, that's my exciting realization about the Atonement!  I hope it helps you, and I hope you can learn about the Atonement by the power of the Spirit.
 
Love,
Elder (#5)"""""""

*****************************************************ENDQUOTATION********************************************************




I have also been interested in the doctrine of christ and the atonement recently, so I have found some of these points recently as well, but i thought it was marvelous for him to connect like that. And since it's easter, I thought it would in well with everything.

Love, #7

1 comment:

  1. You're so awesome! Must be the atonement working in your life!

    ReplyDelete